The Benefits of Regular Tree Trimming
Add Curb Appeal and Look Out for the Health of Your Trees
Having healthy trees always helps add to the curb appeal of your home. However, did you know that regular maintenance is needed to properly cultivate healthy growth in your trees? This care can help determine the shape, strength, and how long the tree will last. Well cared for trees have benefits that include adding to the value of your home. One of the best things you can do for your trees is ensure that they are well trimmed.
When it comes to tree trimming most homeowners view it as a tedious job. Because of this, the trees go untrimmed, which affects the appearance of their homes. If you don’t have the time or ability to trim the trees yourself you could hire a tree service professional, such as those found at Justin Dugan’s Tree Service. Let’s look at the different types of tree trimming that will help keep your trees in tip top shape.
What Are Some Common Tree Trimming Techniques?
- Crown Thinning – In this technique you trim the weak branches in order to open up the canopy. This enhances air and light penetration into the tree. It also gives the larger branches less of a load to carry by removing the defective branches.
- Crown Reduction – This is the practice of lessening the overall height of the tree by removing mass from the larger branches. This is highly recommended for younger trees, but shouldn’t be performed on more mature trees. In the case of older trees, it’s better to remove an entire limb instead of reducing it. The purpose of this technique is to remove the terminal branches to preserve the main limb. Crown Reduction should only be done with great care by a tree trimming professional who understands the tree growth patterns. Done correctly Crown Reduction allows your tree to continue growing and minimizes the risk of decaying after the pruning is complete.
- Crown Lifting – Crown Lifting is achieved by cutting off lower branches from the tree crown to lessen the mass of the larger limbs. The goal is to clear sidewalks and roads, and remove any branches that could conflict with your house structure. This technique is not advised for fully grown trees which could sustain bigger wounds from having large branches removed.
- Dead Pruning – As the name would imply this technique involves removing limbs that are dead, diseased, or dying. Also known as crown cleaning, it helps to improve the overall appearance of the tree. Removing the diseased or dead branches will reduce the risk of injury or property damage. It will also prevent sick branches from spreading the disease and improve the appearance of the tree.
- Pollarding – This technique involves removing all branches until all you have left is the main stem and secondary branches. You should start using this technique on young trees and repeat at regular intervals during the tree’s lifespan.
What Are the Benefits of Tree Trimming
- Tree Trimming helps offset root loss – When you trim your tree regularly it allows you to accommodate for root loss. It also helps to shape the tree so that you end up with the look you envisioned for it.
- Improves the Health of the Tree – Large trees are attractive, but if they get too big they have trouble gathering enough nutrients from the soil. By trimming the tree, you allow for it to more effectively use the nutrients it has, making for a healthier plant.
- Allows you to detect any diseases before they advance – It’s easier to detect any diseases your tree may have when you are following a regular trimming routine. Early detection is essential to preventing a disease before it spreads.
- Helps the tree get better exposure to sunlight – Trees use sunlight to get energy in a process called photosynthesis. The amount of photosynthesis that takes place in a tree is determined by how much exposure it has to sunlight. Trimming unnecessary branches enables more sunlight exposure to a higher amount of leaves, thus increasing the amount of photosynthesis that takes place. This makes for a much healthier tree.
- Improves the overall appearance – Professional tree trimmers know how to shape a tree so that it looks as exquisite as you’ve envisioned. By scheduling trimmings at regular intervals you’ll be able to achieve the look you’ve always wanted.
- Adds value to your property – When you have untrimmed trees it can cause your property to look unkempt. This can cause your property to lose value to due an appealing appearance. That can easily be changed by trimming the trees to achieve the desired look.
- Keeps your home and valuables safe – When you have trees close to your home, rotten or diseased branches can fall causing damage to your home, cars, pool, and other property. Trimming away the dead or diseased limbs will help keep your property safe from damage.
Keep your Trees Healthy and Your Property Attractive and Safe
As you can see tree trimming, when done properly by a trained professional can help keep your property safe and attractive. Tree trimming can also add value to your property and keeps the trees healthier as well. If you need any help with tree trimming or have any questions about it, call your tree trimming professionals at Justin Dugan’s Tree Service. We’re always here to help you!